OMG! AM I AGEING?Gurpreet Kaur
Yes, we all know. Just a number; a sum of all those years you had fun; all about elegance; of getting old gracefully! But a look at the wrinkles would tell us something totally different – ageing, for the skin, is not at all fun.
And, what we don’t know, the net tells us. As we age, our skin undergoes several changes that can cause it to lose its radiance. Many factors can contribute to the loss of radiance in ageing skin, like the decrease in the production of collagen and elastin, the proteins that give our skin its firmness and elasticity. Or the reduction in natural oils which can cause the skin to become dry, dull, and less radiant.
There are many to list including exposure to environmental factors and hormonal changes. Whatever the reason, we don’t need the mirror on the wall to tell us that we might not be ageing with grace.
And, you and I are not alone in this scene. For hoards of women, and men, the passing of years means all kinds of insecure feelings about beauty – the skin loses its sparkle, the hair is thinner, the dark circles under the eyes become darker and wrinkles become more prominent.
So, what is the solution?
There are beauty products and treatment options available to guard the skin and hair against the onslaught of age that offer varied results. And, there are a few preventive steps too to protect and nourish your skin and minimise the effects of the changes that years bring to you.
- Protect your skin from the sun: When you are out in the sun, especially in this scorching summer, wear protective clothing, such as long-sleeved shirts, hats, and sunglasses. And make sure you are using broad-spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher every day.
- Stay hydrated: Drinking plenty of water can help keep your skin hydrated and plump, which can help reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. So, keep your water intake high.
- Eat a healthy diet: A diet rich in fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and lean protein can provide your skin with the nutrients it needs to stay healthy.
- Get enough sleep: Lack of sleep can cause dark circles, puffiness, and fine lines to appear under your eyes, so aim for 7-9 hours of sleep each night.
- Quit smoking: Smoking can cause premature ageing of the skin by damaging collagen and elastin fibres.
- Avoid excessive alcohol consumption: Alcohol can dehydrate your skin and cause inflammation, which can accelerate ageing.
- Exercise regularly: Get off that couch and move your body, it improves circulation, which can deliver nutrients and oxygen to your skin, helping it stay healthy.
- Use gentle skincare products: Most importantly, keep an eye on what you are applying to the skin. Use mild cleansers and moisturisers that are designed for your skin type, and avoid using harsh products that can strip your skin of its natural oils. Like this range of products from Soilscents!
Infused with the goodness of argan oil, jasmine essential oil and rose geranium essential oil, this rejuvenating face moisturiser is exactly what the skin needs to stay youthful.
A skin-perfecting toner, it nourishes the skin and tightens the pores, and carried the magical properties of neroli and mandarin.
Be gentle to your face, and it will reward you with radiant looks and healthy skin year after year. And, age will be just a number.